15 July 2011

Rebekah Brooks quits

The Guardian has reported that Rebekah Brooks has finally bowed to the inevitable and resigned from her position as Chief Executive of News International (Newscorp's UK subsidiary). Her resignation statement is below

As chief executive of the company, I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt and I want to reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place.
I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.
This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavours to fix the problems of the past.
Therefore I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted.
Rupert's wisdom, kindness and incisive advice has guided me throughout my career and James is an inspirational leader who has shown me great loyalty and friendship.
I would like to thank them both for their support.

 Well there you have it. Clearly Brooks has outlived her usefulness to the Murdochs I wit to see whether they sling the dirt at her no. On the other hand she will know where a lot of bodies are buried.

This could get very interesting!

4 comments:

susan said...

The FBI needs to be investigating he banks as well but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for some good news this morning.

jams o donnell said...

And the banks on this side of the channel too Susan. Still this is good news

Bryan said...

And Les Hinton resigned from Dow Jones / Wall Street Journal.

There is going to be no one left to act as a shield for the Murdochs.

Oh, the head of his Australian division is telling people that there is no reason to investigate Rupert's Oz holdings, because only the British do bad things to sell newspapers.

jams o donnell said...

That was one dreadful day for the Murdochs Bryan. James Murdoch must be feeling the blade at his ribs now...