22 June 2010

We’re Doomed! - Dawn of the mutant cyber monkey

This is an item I bookmarked a little while ago but the sheer horror means that I have not been able to bring myself to make it the subject of a post.

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh have taught a monkey to use just its thoughts to control an advanced robotic arm and perform elaborate manoeuvres with it. Although it is not the first time a monkey has controlled machines with its mind the seven-degrees-of-freedom robot arm used is the most complex system a monkey has ever mastered with its thoughts alone.

Researchers have long been working to put the brain in direct communication with machines. The hope is one day brain-machine interfaces will allow paralyzed people to operate advanced prosthetics in a natural way. Recent demonstrations have seen animals and humans controlling ever more complex devices.

While the research will surely have peaceful applications I am convinced that an evil genius is already planning world domination through his legion of half machine, half monkey death machines. Remember when these cyber monsters are destroying your neighbourhood with eye-implanted death beams you heard it here first!

5 comments:

CherryPie said...

I thought you were talking about our government for a minute...

Bryan said...

If they start teaching cats to do this, we are in big trouble...

Frank Partisan said...

Like a 1950s horror movie.

Claude said...

Dear Jams - Please, don't tell me things I don't want to hear. I have enough gray hair as it is. Thanks!

The word verification is mallycou...a bit like "mal au cou" Ha! ha!

jams o donnell said...

That would have been mutant pseido wanlers Cjerie!

Titter ye not Bryan.. I have another story thatwill chill you to the marrow

Very much like the Beast from out er space eh Ren?

Ah Claudia all I am doing is warning the world or the horror to come.. Far more than a pain it will be!