05 June 2007

Bookseller/Diagram Prize - A belated update

In March the shortlist for the Bookseller/Diagram prize was announced. The hot favourite to win the coveted accolade (which is awarded to the book with the oddest title) was "How green were the Nazis?".


The prize was in fact won in April by the The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification (Julian Montague). A worthy winner indeed. Mr Montague's website on shopping cart identification can be accessed here - perfect for a rainy day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me a bit of "Cooking One's Corgi" by Mike Harding.

As I recall, the reason he gave for choosing this title was that the best selling books are usually about royalty, pets, cookery... or the Nazis. He originally planned to put a large swastika on the cover, but I'm not sure the publisher agreed with his marketing strategy!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I used to work at a grocery store where I fulfilled my duties as a cart wrangling cowgirl. I could herd them back into the corral in 1 minute flat. That's a Kroger world record. Yep, I damn good.

Our carts were docile, but their are some carts that were just born to be wild. Like the one featured on the front cover of the book. The Houston Chronicle ran this story a couple months ago too.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh Lord, please forgive my grammatical and spelling errors and let jams know that I do indeed understand the various forms of there/their/they're. Amen.

jams o donnell said...

Err Roger, Perhaps Mike Harding's publisher had the right thing.. I can imagine him being teh main attraction of a royal command performance being crucified!

jams o donnell said...

I had forgotten all about the prize until I checked back on the original entry this morning.

It is obviously an utter classic and as you should know being a former cart wrangler, some are meant to roam the range even if some end up in rivers or gullies or . I wonder if thee are bands roaming wild in the more remote plains and backwaters...